7 things you should do before going on Erasmus!

09:00:00





Hey Lovelies,

I hope you are all doing well! Let me know what you've been up to in the past week in the comments below!

As most of you may already know, I have been accepted to do a segment of my degree in Food and Agribusiness Management abroad. In a matter of weeks, I will be jetting off to the other side of the globe to the states where I will be studying in Purdue University in the state of Indiana! This, will undoubtedly be one of the greatest adventures of my life and one that will probably be plastered on my social media often for the next few months!

Nowadays, a lot of people are making the choice to carry on their studies abroad or even work abroad through doing a J-1! This process requires a lot of planning and preparation, so in the following blog post I will be providing you with a few tips on how to prepare for an endeavour abroad!

7 things you should do before going on Erasmus! 


1.  Make an extensive list of things you NEED to take with you! 

I feel like the worst thing that could possibly happen when going on this type of venture is that you forget something of vital importance. Imagine you are in the airport and have forgotten your passport or visa documentation while your stuffed teddy bear is packed safely in your hand luggage. Being prepared and planning ahead is a must before going on Erasmus! I will be making out a list of things you should bring and posting it on my blog later in the summer so be sure to look out for it!


2.  Get into contact with somebody from the area! 

Lack of familiarity with a place is the essence of what defines an Erasmus student! Sometimes getting in contact with people from the area or somebody who is in the university can have its advantages. There was a girl from Purdue studying abroad in UCD who was in one of my lectures. Our study abroad coordinator provided me with her contact details. She was such a friendly girl and offered to meet up with me for coffee to answer any of my questions about the college. She has also offered to show me around the campus when I arrive! Having just one person I know on campus makes me feel so much more at ease about the whole transition!


3. Organise accommodation! 

The last thing you want when you arrive in a new country is to be homeless! By organising your accommodation well in advance you'll avoid this problem. Luckily on campus accommodation in Purdue is the best option for those studying abroad! Be sure to have organised your accommodation to save yourself a lot of stress when you're over!


4. Make some plans for when you arrive! 

So you've opted to hop on a flight and study a portion of your degree overseas. You're not going to get much out of your experience if you don't plan to do anything upon arrival. Go exploring, visit some landlords, try some food you haven't previously eaten before! Whatever you do, have the intention to make your experience adventurous and worthwhile!



5. Research your Visa requirements! 

If you're going to the US from Ireland you'll be needing a visa. You also need a visa to go to Australia to study as well as many other places. Make sure to do adequate research to ensure you are applying for the appropriate visa! My particular visa is a J1 visa which is an exchange visitor visa! There are various types of visas and different criteria which will categorise you into a certain type of visa!



6. Apply for your Visa! 

You'll want to apply for your visa as soon as possible! Once you have the appropriate form (for me it was the DS-2019 that was sent over from the US) you can then commence the application process. It took me about three hours in total to complete the online application and I needed to watch a five-minute short video giving me instructions on how to apply. The sooner you do this the better! If there are any mistakes on your application it'll be easier to amend them if you have completed the application early! There is tonnes of information on the US Embassy website on the application process!



7. Ask all the questions! 

When participating in this sort of endeavour, we will all have questions. We need to know what we are getting ourselves into, the cost, the climate and other critical factors that could impact on our decision of whether or not it is best to go or not. Whether it is a student who has gone on erasmus in the past, someone from the area you've been speaking to for awhile or your study-abroad coordinator, there is always somebody available to answer all of the queries you may have. Also don't feel silly about asking certain questions as I am sure that people have had these concerns in the past! There is no such thing as a stupid question!



Have you or are you planning on studying abroad?
Tell me a little bit about your experiences in the comments!
I would love to hear about what you got up to overseas!

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi, just wondering if you can work part time to help fund travels/living on a study abroad visa to america/australia?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!