The life of an Erasmus Student #2 Choosing a University

09:00:00



Hello lovelies,

I hope you are all doing well. If some of you missed the previous post from this series, then you may not be aware that I have applied to study abroad in America. I recently received an email informing me that my interview will be held on the 12th of January, so I will have a lot of preparation to do to make a good impression. One of the next segments of the series will be how to tackle the interview process.
This post will be focusing on choosing a university to go to. In UCD, there are approximately ten different universities in the field of Agriculture who are in partnership with UCD and allows students to do exchanges there in the third year of their degree. Some of the options include The University of Purdue in Indiana, Kansas State University, University of California, Cornell University, University of Connecticut, University of Queensland and many more! All of these places sound incredible and it would be very difficult to break it down. In the end, I managed to come up with two universities on my application form; University of Purdue and Kansas State University.

The following are a few tips I would give to coming up with your best options.

1. Cutting out the places you don't want - This is easier said than done, but one of the defining factors for me personally when choosing a place was the experience previous students had there. When I heard that certain people hadn't been to California or Queensland they went off my list, despite my idealistic fantasies in my head of living a beach girl kind of life in California. Hearing good experiences about other universities really conjures up a favourable image of them and makes you want to go there.

2. Consider the modules you'd be doing there - It is required of us to do as many modules that match up to the ones in UCD as possible. However, this may not always be 100% possible. In the University of Purdue, they offer an agricultural selling module which is not available in the course in Ireland. The selling modules is something that really excites me about the placement in Purdue as it seems a lot more hands on, but it is also something that will give me an edge over somebody else in my course who stays at home! 

3. Talk to previous students there - From my many discussions with students in fourth year who have returned from their travels abroad, I have fallen in love with the potential life I have in Indiana. The modules seem to be relatively doable if you stay on top of your work, all came back with high GPAs. Purdue is also located close to Michigan city and Chicago, ideal for weekend trips away. The experience they had there seems to make me more enthusiastic to go. 

4. Research - Try to research the aspects of university life that are most important to you and see which colleges best suit you. For me, I focused on a college that did modules that I really liked the sound of. My friend Gillian on the other hand, opted for options that were highly rated such as Cornell. I also did things like watch videos of dorm room tours and campus tours.


I really hope that some of these tips will help you out!

FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. This is such a useful post many will benefit from, fab idea! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a useful post many will benefit from, fab idea! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I love it, truly inspiring, thank you for sharing. All the best 2016 !!!

    xxx

    www.noragouma.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!