It's Okay to do a PLC course.

20:42:00


After completing a year of a course that I never thought I'd wind up in and which I actually thoroughly enjoyed, I must remember that Course DN250 in Agricultural Science was not the course top of my list on the CAO last year when I was doing my Leaving Certificate exams. Keeping this information in mind, I realise that there are so many others who do not obtain their number one choice. Some people like myself, although initially devastated, yet now relieved (as I discovered the Food Science Course (my original top choice) has an extra module in maths as well as physics) happily complete a course next on the list, be it their second or third choice etc. Some on the other hand, decide to do a PLC course as an access route to their desired course. 

"If you have finished your secondary education in Ireland and would like to develop vocational and technological skills in order to get a job or to go into further education and training, the Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC) course may be the one you are looking for. The PLC is often seen just as a course for school-leavers. "

 More information on what a PLC course is can be obtained here! 

Some people may feel anxious or even embarrassed to do a PLC course. It wasn't exactly where you expected to go when you initially thought about third level education. However this post is just a bit of reassurance to those who are stressed to the nines with the future defining Leaving Certificate exams. I would have loved a bit of reassurance that if my exams don't go exactly how I plan, then there's always a back up route of taking a PLC course and entering your course a year later. The results at the end of the course translate to leaving cert points within the CAO system, I believe. 

Doing a PLC course isn't the same as going to University. When you complete your PLC course you'll be awarded with a level 5 or 6, course dependant. In University you are rewarded with a level 7 or 8 depending on your course for an undergraduate course. A masters is a level 9 and a doctorate is a level 10. Most people do a PLC course locally in their local town, there's no need for the big transition to a new city when you are going to university and there probably isn't the same amount of independence of moving to a new place alone and going through the wonders of preparing your own meals and spending a lot more time by yourself. 

I think that PLCs are an excellent facility available to those who perhaps aren't ready to go to University or those who found the exams very tough and give them another route to the course of their dreams. As long as you are doing a course that is leading you in the right direction and you have some drive and ambition to seek your place in that dream course of yours, then go for it (if you need/want to!) 

I know plenty of people who have done these courses and continued on with further studies in a third level institution. In fact one of my best friends from my course, failed to obtain a place based on their leaving cert points in Agricultural Science, UCD. So they decided to do a PLC course. Through their drive and ambition they came out with all distinctions in their PLC exams and are now  one of my peers in the class of 2014/2015 Agricultural Science. 

So if by the time August rolls by and you haven't gotten the course you want or don't feel ready to go to Uni, why not consider doing a PLC course? 

Ellen, 
x x x x x x x x x 




You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. This PLC course is really interesting!!!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    My Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a great way for people to find another way into University. :)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea there's such a thing as PLC course, I don't think we have anything like it in Malaysia, not sure about Canada though. Definitely will ask my husband about it.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if they do.
      I just know they're in Ireland and that is it :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a great option I am sure more people are too scared to go to Uni and this would be great for them!

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really brilliant post. Im doing the LC this year so Im looking at all my options and a PLC course is a big one as I honestly dont have a clue what to do yet. They are a brilliant bridge between secondary school and Uni as you get that year to have a good think about where you want to go/ what you want to do yet your also doing something productive and useful x

    Caitriona | Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwh thanks so much. :)
      I just don't think people should be ashamed to do them. :3

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!