Things I have learnt from being in a relationship for over a year!

09:00:00


Hello Everybody,
 I really hope that you are all well today! 

I truly enjoyed writing my last "Things I learnt", where I wrote about a few things I learnt from being in University for a year. Today, I thought I would write another one because I really loved writing it. For the record, be prepared for a few of these posts randomly appearing now and again on my blog!! 

I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend Cathal for a year and a half now. This is my second long term, strong relationship. The first ended after two years and a month. It's strange that I still remember that! Anyway, I thought I may as well share a few things I have learnt in my general experience in a romantic relationship!!! I really hope you enjoy this one!!!

Please note that a lot of stuff in here is very personal and I hope you respect my decision to share it with you. 


1. Jealousy is pointless: I know a lot of the time it's only human to get a bit jealous when your bae has their attention on someone else. In the case of my ex, he was extremely close to a lot of girls, a lot of whom were my very close friends. I found myself a bit green with jealousy when he spent some chill time with them sometimes. But there is really no need to worry, just because your partner is spending time with someone else, that doesn't mean they don't care about you or they are being unfaithful to you. It just means that they are hanging out with somebody else. I am more than aware that some people are unfortunate enough to be involved with cheating scum. In my cases, I had relationships built on a very good foundation. I know that the person I am with is mature enough to leave if he wants to and stay if he wants to also! 


2. Mistakes do happen: Nobody is perfect and everybody makes mistakes, I am more than willing to accept that. It has happened before. But as long as they are honest and truthful enough to tell me that they have made some slight error, what's the harm. Sometimes their mistakes might hurt you, but if it was accidental/forced and they were reluctant I really don't see how that can ultimately damage a relationship. If he's not keeping this a secret, it shows he feels remorse and wish it hadn't happened. I think you need to be able to judge your partner's character and if they accidentally kissed someone else and told you about it, for example, from there I'd try and judge whether or not it'd be done again. 


3. Trust is essential: I never say this, because it is just so natural for me to trust Cathal. I just trust him. There really is no doubt that trust is key to a strong relationship which I have obtained. I pretty much believe anything he says (unless he is lying as a joke). I think this is a very good position to be in a relationship. I guess I am lucky that he has a very honest and gentle nature about him. I am aware at the same time that some people just naturally have a deceptive nature. 


4. Do what you want: When your bae, cares for and respects you, they aren't going to force you into anything you do not want to do. If they do force you to do anything against your will, that is a pretty clear indication to leave. It's really important to say "No" (not only to drugs but other things you might not want to do) and to do what you want to do. I have said " I said No" before and they understood.


I have learnt so much more in the course of my long-terms relationships but these are the most important messages I wanted to carry across.

Have you been in a long-term relationship? What things have you learnt from them?



I hope you enjoyed this one guys,
I will as always, speak to you soon,

Ellen

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 



                                       FacebookTwitterInstagramBloglovin

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Yep, this. I regret the fact that it wasn't until my last boyfriend (who is now my husband) did I learn the above things. I had always had a lot of drama with my previous boyfriends, but he taught me a lot of things and there were less drama, if there was any at all. We're happy now. And the key is to keep everything simple. And talk. Never underestimate the power of talking with each other whenever there is a problem. Talk, don't fight.

    I love your blog! Keep the posts coming! xx

    Dara | Hola Darla | @DarlaOct

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just lucky enough to never have too much drama with my relationships. :) You're happy now and that's all that matters :D

      Delete
  2. Aww, that is so sweet. I don't think it's hard to be in a relationships when you realize these things. Bae may be bae, but bae ain't bae if bae don't let you be your own bae. Right, bae? Hahaha. I wouldn't know though, I haven't been in a long-term relationship. I just like saying the word, bae.


    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you. I totally agree with you :)

      Delete
  3. I love this, I don't think I've ever seen a post on this before!

    Rebecca Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like to post whatever I am thinking or feeling hahaha :)

      Delete
  4. great, great post :)) have an amazing weekend!

    mfashionfreak♥blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. I think being jealous in a relationship is pointless as well, if you don't trust them around other girls then what is the point of being with them? Oh you know what bothers me those girls who tell there bf(or gf) that they can't hang around guys(or girls), like who are you to tell someone that? You aren't the boss of them. Sorry for the rant haha :P

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha it's okay to rant. I totally don't mind my boyfriend hanging with other girls anyways. :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't really been in a relationship for quite some time now, but looking back on some of what you said I can relate to a lot. I especially agree with the fact that you've just got to know you trust them, you wouldn't have to think about whether they're being truthful, because you would just know. It is hard to explain haha!


    I would also just like to tell you that I have nominated you for the creative blogger award. For further details you can just head over to my blog. :)



    thattypicalgurl.blogspot.com


    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I am so glad you relate. :)
      Hope you take these into account when you are next in a relationship :)
      I did see that I was nominated because I randomly popped onto your blog the other day. I will do it eventually, my time is just consumed with college exams etc as it stands. :)

      Delete
  7. great post dear...

    www.crazyaboutcolors.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!