Things to add to your green smoothies!

07:00:00


Making green smoothies has been a very healthy trend in recent times! Once you perfect your personal green smoothie, you can drink it to your heart's content. However, one can get bored of having the same green smoothie day in and day out. That is why I wanted to create a little post with ideas of what you could put in your green smoothies or smoothies in general!



Please note that some of the ideas proposed in this post will not have been tasted by me, but I have seen them on the internet!


A general list of ideas on what to add to your (green) smoothies!

The Greens:
 This is probably the area most people are most intrigued about. The most commonly used greens in the green smoothie are most probably kale and spinach. But if you're a bit bored of them there are other possibilities. I have used broccoli and avocados before. Broccoli is a source of protein which is helpful to me who is attempting to be vegetarian (it's working very well for the record)! When it is blended very well its taste is virtually undetectable. I tend to cut up the little branches attached to the large stem up into smaller chunks which is easier to mix. I have only had this with spinach. .Avocados are extremely healthy. They have all the good fats you need and give smoothies that creamy consistency. I don't believe they will turn a smoothie green if they are mixed with darker berries unlike spinach. When I mixed it with bananas, grapes and juice it came out a faint green. When it is mixed with spinach it gives the smoothie a green glow.

Other greens you could add which I have not tried are; parsley, Swiss chard, collard greens and dandelion greens.


The liquids: There is such a large variety of liquids you can add to your smoothies. If you have nothing in the house, why not go for some tap water? It keeps you hydrated and it's a way to stop your smoothie from being too thick. For extra calcium (and protein) you could add some milk which has a high biological value in protein. For more of a fruity vibe, you could add some fruit juice. There are many available in your local supermarket from apple to orange juice. I am currently using Ace juice which I bought in Lidl. This juice has lemons, oranges, carrots and cherries in it and is delicious. If you had the extra time, you could juice your own juice. This is the most healthy option as it ensures there is no extra sugars unnecessarily added to the juice. Many people also add coconut water or coconut milk to theirs. I've yet to try this!

Extra Protein: For those of you like me, who are trying to be less reliant on meat as a protein source, it is definitely well worth your while adding a bit of protein to your smoothie. I have tried the super food flaxseed which has additional protein and vitamin D (which I can get in milk but I would have otherwise gotten it from fish). There are various products available in health stores which have additional protein. Another idea is to add yogurt which like an avocado makes your smoothie so creamy, yet allows you to get some calcium and protein at the same time. Something I have yet to do is add a raw egg to my smoothie. Eggs have 100% biological value in protein and are an excellent source to eat. When you add a raw egg to a smoothie, the taste is invisible yet the nutritional benefits still stand.

Other Fruit:   There are so many other fruits you can add to your smoothies to conceal the flavours of the greens you aren't the fondest of. Many fruits combined such as bananas and strawberries taste so yummy together.

Examples of other fruit you can use are: Bananas, Apples, Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, grapes, pineapple, mango etc.


I really hope you guys liked this post and that it helps you create a great variety of smoothies.

 Thank you guys for reading and as always I will see you later. :)

Ellen
x x x x x x x x x x

Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. This is really useful! I'm always trying to find ways to make my green smoothies taste better!
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok. blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great tips! My husband and I want to get a juicer soon :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a good juicer will definitely help to mix veggies like brocolli so well!

      Delete
  4. hi! Thanks for sharing this. Love the idea of adding coconut water to your juice! I've tried it before and loved it! My current favourite green juice is the combination of spinach, manggo, banana and water/coconut water. :D

    ieyra | babysoulz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dear <3 Great post ! Your blog is awesome :)
    Do You want to follow each other ? :)
    http://kasjaa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks :)
      I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  6. this is so great :) i hope you're doing well!!

    mfashionfreak♥blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great ideas! I love smoothies! ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never really make smoothies that often, but would really like to start to. I really like the sound of using some avocado! :) x


    thattypicalgurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avocados are actually my favourite fruits and I guarantee that they are a wonderful addition to a smoothie!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!