How to Ace those heavy learning content subjects!

07:00:00


The following image was found on google images!


You know those subjects which are heavily loaded with so much content you think your head is going to explode with the amount there is to learn for exams? Well today, I am here with a few tips for you guys in how to prepare for these exams and ace them. Well, at least do well in them. Last June, I unknowingly (until the date of the leaving cert results) received an A in my Home Ec exam. I was so shocked. I didn't think I performed well enough in the exam as it was a very odd exam and didn't exactly follow the exam pattern from the previous years. It is also very content heavy. The amount to learn is endless. There is no doubt that I definitely deserved that grade. I put my heart and soul into Home Economics as a subject, to the point that it was the primary subject I spent time on. Seeing as I got on so well in the exam, I thought I could compile a few tips on how to perform well in those subjects which have a lot of content. Please note that a lot of the things I did were very time consuming.



By heavy learning content subjects, I mean those subjects that have tonnes of stuff to learn off. There's no understanding involved with any of the content really. In home ec there is a lot of nutrient structures, percentages, statistics and definitions to learn off. I would definitely consider Biology and geography very learning heavy subjects whereas Physics, Maths and Chemistry require more understanding to enable one to tackle problems.


The following is a compilation of my tips to Ace exams like this. 

1. Writing notes :
I seem to be excellent at learning stuff when I write it down. This is definitely why I opted for writing notes. After we completed a topic in class (we normally just read the textbook), I would write notes on that topic using simple terminology so it'd be easy to remember. Also when I am writing notes I am thinking of what it is I am writing.

2. Doing Past Exam Papers: I definitely did at least two or three past exam papers per night (eventually) when I was preparing for this exam. I actually completed every exam question several times. I eventually got access to previous mock papers and completed the questions on those papers too. There is usually a formula to how the questions are created. The same terminology will come up and it will get you very used to answering the questions how the examiner wants you to and is a great method of preparation!

3. Copying notes: I did this excessively and used a lot of paper as a result. When I was revising a certain topic, I used to copy the original notes I had written out. I would do this a few times until eventually I could write the notes from memory. It really helps you remember every thing you have to learn.

4. Drawing pictures of diagrams and sticking them on the wall: This is something I did for the nutrient structures. I had drawn out fatty acid structures, protein structures and carbohydrate structures onto paper in colourful highlighters and stuck them on my wall. By doing this I was subconsciously learning the structures without knowing it! By the time the exams had come, my wall was plastered in drawings.

5. Study the course three times: I believe I heard somewhere that if you learn something three times (at least) you will remember it forever. That is why we instinctively know how to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Through repetition, you will definitely remember a lot. That is why I decided to study the Home Economics course three times (PROPERLY). There is no way I would have done as well if I didn't.



Now that the biggest exams of my life are over, I don't need to be studying as hard, but these definitely come in handy now and again.

I really hope you guys got some help out of this post!


 Thank you guys for reading and as always I will see you later. :)

Ellen
x x x x x x x x x x


Facebook. Twitter. Instagram. Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. This post takes me back, haha! Wonderful tips you've shared - I always did the writing down notes and sticking them on the wall technique :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha thank you! I for one think they work :)

      Delete
  2. When I was in school I did some of these and it helped me out a lot, this really is so helpful :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/
    twitter.com/floralandsmiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! Thank you, I'm currently on my last year of A Levels and I'm re taking 4 of my AS exams to try and get at least a B grade overall for uni, no pressure! I've started staying after school to revise but motivation is seriously lacking right now and not much is sticking, but I will defiantly try out these techniques!

    http://v0gueandtrends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope they work well for you because I know they did for me! :)
      I got two As in my exams, Bs and one D(which didn't affect me luckily enough) so I am sure you'll do fine too! :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing and helpful tips! =)

    NEW POST on http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is wonderful Ellen! It really takes me back to my study days of the past, and is also going to be so helpful for me come February when I start studying again! I feel so out of practice so this post is super helpful! Carly xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh I am so glad you found it helpful :)

      Delete
  6. Oooooh thanks for the tips! I have some exams coming soon and it is always cool to hear some new fresh tips! By the way, I had no idea about those three times to remember forever!! With love,
    Vera

    http://theflashwindow.weebly.com
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well forever might be an exaggeration, but if you go over something three times for exams you will know it very well, also if you ever go back to it, it's easier to learn in a few years.

      Delete
  7. great tips! I used to write notes/facts down on a card and then quiz myself before exams! it really helped me...although I think I memorized things more than actually learned them... so... may not be the best technique haha but hey, at least I got an A ;)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memory is great for those things you dont need to understand.

      Delete
  8. Writing notes is one of the tricks that work well on me. Thanks for sharing your tips!

    Life With Antlers

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very helpful! When I was in high school I copied my notes a lot of times until I could write them without the original. Great tips!
    Obsessed Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thanks :) I really hope they help!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!