Are you considering going Vegetarian? Here's another factor to take into account.

07:00:00



When we think of why most decide to employ the lifestyle of a vegetarian, most of us assume it is for ethical reasons. People who eat this way don't believe it is right to harm animals for the means of food and produce for human consumption. However, there are many other reasons in which people consider this lifestyle. For example meat can be very expensive and this may not be ideal for the financially limited (Like myself, a student). Religion can even come into the picture. Some Religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism have strict rules on the types of foods their followers can eat.









I don't believe I am wrong when I say that a lot of people, myself included have been through a phase where they have considered taking the plunge and avoid consuming meat products. I, personally have been through this phase many times. My love for addictive chicken rolls and the likes is much too strong. However I have started to limit the amount of meat I eat and reconsider this dietary decision. As an Agricultural Science student, I have learned about the environmental impacts of a largely meat based diet and how it effects our carbon footprints etc. If you are considering vegetarianism this may be another factor to consider in favor of the decision. According to the following article; if you reduce your meat intake one day a week it would be the equivalent to taking half a million cars off the road! That's massive when thinking on an environmental level.




Up until recently, I never really considered where my food derived from. In my mind, the food merely was picked up from the super market. It's amazing to think that every ounce of food consumed by us goes through the whole "from farm to fork" process. According to the Environmental Working Group, the production, processing and distribution of meat needs large amounts of pesticides, fertilizer, fuel, feed and water while releasing greenhouse gases, manure and a variety of toxic chemicals which all prove harmful to the environment. Using animals like sheep and such for grazing will also cause CO2 to be emmited by removing forestry and land for the purpose of grazing. If you are as passionate about the environment as I am, going vegetarian may be the way for you to go.

I think the figures regarding meat all conclude that they are causing more good than bad. How about the Vegetarian figures? Are they as helpful. Well, according to this article  going vegetarian can half your CO2 emissions from food alone!




This is a really interesting topic to research so I thought I would give you guys a small bit of information on it. If I had written any more I reckon a lot of people would have stopped reading my post. :)

If you are interested in the slightest, I will be providing a few links below for you to do some research!!


Links

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meat-and-environment/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/18/vegetarianism-save-planet-environment

http://www.peta.org/about-peta/faq/how-does-eating-meat-harm-the-environment/

https://www.vegsoc.org/reducecarbon

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25795-going-vegetarian-halves-co2-emissions-from-your-food.html#.VKmfefmsXuI




I really hope you enjoyed this different post as food is something which fascinates me and I really wanted to write something different and a bit more meaningful than an OOTD post. :)

I will see you soon,
Ellen
x x x x x x x x x x

FacebookTwitter. Instagram. Bloglovin.





.

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. There are so many times I consider going vegetarian. I know a lot of people who are at least trying to be pescatarian as a first step. I definitely have been lessening the amount of red meat i eat as it can cause so many health problems. Thanks for the tip!

    TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am starting by eliminating red meat. I've also started looking up vegetarian recipes to things I like anyways :)

      Delete
  2. Ellen,
    Thank you for sharing this, very informative!
    I'm not vegetarian, however I'm not crazy about the meat and eat it only few days a week, most of the times turkey or chicken, other meat seems too heavy for me.
    I'm more into fish and seafood so whenever there is a choice I will go for anything but meat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked this post! :D
      Poultry and fish are better options than red meat!
      Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, Ellen. Will check out some of the links, so thx for sharing.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lenya, glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  4. Great post! I don't think i could ever be a vegetarian... I like meat too much :D

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it :)
      It is nice. That's why I am currently just limiting it. :)

      Delete
  5. This is really interesting, I've considered becoming a vegetarian for a long while (for ethical reasons) but because I'm still living with my parents, I haven't taken the plunge because I don't want them to have to specifically make meals for me.

    vvnightingale.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of in the same situation as you Victoria. When I'm in college I don't eat meat much really, but it's a different story in college :)

      Delete
  6. My husband is vegetarian, so naturally I converted on that path by myself.. and it is not that hard as it sounds! Cooking together is so much fun, there're tons of substitutes like soy and tofu is we're craving some "vegan burger", but I got to love vegetables and with time switched to black coffee, which is much better for digestion. That being said, I feel only positive changes so far.

    Oly | TLV Birdie Blog
    http://tlvbirdie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am glad you are feeling the benefits of this life style. :)

      Delete
  7. I love this! I often think about going vegetarian, or even vegan. There is so much more to it than just not eating animals, but some parts of the industry are horrible. I've been trapped on videos on youtube about chicken farms and how male chicks get sorted from the females and ground up because they can't make eggs. There's loads of awful things and I do want to research more into it some day, but I don't know how my heart will cope ha!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my eyes were really opened to the whole idea when I was learning about this stuff in college. It just makes me more determined to do it.

      Delete
  8. love everything! great photos :D

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.com)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a useful, informative post! I've recently been reducing my meat intake because of some of these things you've mentioned, but also because it means I get to explore other foods! :)

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked the post. Yeah I really want to try quinoa and other sources of protein! :)

      Delete
  10. We don't really eat that much meat anyways but this post is so helpful. I don't think we will ever be a vegetarian though (sorry) But meat isn't always something we eat all the time so I don't think we are too bad! haha :)
    Great post :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've considered becoming a vegetarian so many times! I think I could go with out most meats no bother - might try it and see how far I get! I've given you a follow on bloglovin' if you want maybe you could come over to my blog and give me a follow back?xxxx

    enpointefashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good look, I'll definitely check your blog and consider it :)

      Delete
  12. Only just got around to reading and commenting. This is great lovely, yaay! It's a shame people don't know just how bad the farming industry can be, like these animals aren't killed humanely. I read another bit of research that people who try to go vegetarian because of health reasons or lifestyle rather than their interest in animal rights are extremely likely to go back to eating meat within three months. I wish there was more information and education easily available to people, although it probably is. I think people just like to ignore the problem in front of them and pretend it isn't as bad as they're being told it is. Getting people to cut down bit by bit instead of all at once is a really good way to do it :) I'm now cutting eggs out of my diet too, and hopefully fish soon too! So glad you wrote this, it's great :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah people are probably misinformed. But it's something we aren't taught as children. All we know is that this is on our dinner plates. We have no idea where it comes from unless we educate ourselves etc. But when we begin to eat at like 7 months or whenever babies take solid foods we aren't told where these things come from. So it's like we are used to eating meat almost. I am beginning to cut out meat, but it is very difficult in my opinion. But I hope to soon have it gone. I'm not sure if I could cut out eggs and milk and stuff though. Sure we'll see in time. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you thought!

StyleWe

View StyleWe

The Girl Gang!

Dorkface

Jexshop

Dress Link!